Not the Wray Rives you were looking for?

Try Here
www.RivesCPA.co

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Early birds and worms, but mostly worms

I get up early most mornings and walk.  I used to run, but finally I was old enough that running seemed like too much effort for too little benefit, so now I walk. I try to start my walk right before sunrise, mostly because I live in Texas and after sunrise you risk melting into the sidewalk.

Walking instead of running means I am going slower and have discovered things happening that I missed before. I have noticed another creature that apparently goes for a walk(crawl) about the same time I do-worms.  What is it about a worm that makes them think they can scurry across a sidewalk before it becomes a hot plate you can cook on? First worms don't exactly scurry, it is more like an aimless crawl. I guess worms are not particularly known for their high level thinking skills.  Surely if they could, they would learn in worm school to calculate the time it takes for the average worm to cross a three foot sidewalk and compare that to how long it is going to be until the surface of that same sidewalk is like the surface of the sun and pretty much dashes any hope they have of making it to the greener pastures on the other side.

I have no idea how many worms try, but judging from the dried up worm jerky on the sidewalks I stroll, a lot fail.  My wife says I am a compassionate guy, but this is the same woman who says I can't dance, so what does she know really?  I do seem to have found compassion for the worms that are struggling to cross the sidewalk in the morning.  Frequently I find myself stopping to pick up worms that still have some life left in them and put the worm off in the grass.  I have no idea if that does the worm any good, judging from their response, the worms don't seem to welcome the help, but I chalk that up more to them not knowing the difference between a goofy guy who is trying to give them a chance and a hungry bird looking for breakfast.  I have learned worms are beneficial for our lawns.  Apparently a worm's life pretty much consists of eating dead grass, pooping out fertilizer and sleeping. All this time I thought they were just good for putting on a hook to feed to the fish.  At least that is how it usually works for me.  I put a worm on a hook, drop the hook in the water and a fish eats the worm, so I pull up the hook and put another appetizer on for the fish.  Someone told me once you were supposed to pull the fish up too, but that happens so rarely I think they were teasing me. A worm's life of eating, pooping and sleeping actually sounds a lot like my dog and son, so maybe that explains my interest in their welfare.

I am out early, the worms are out early and it actually occurred to me maybe I am depriving the early bird of his breakfast, but then I decided the robins can just eat the crickets.  I don't have as much compassion for crickets because unlike the slow moving, benign worm who fertilizes my grass, the cricket seems bent on being an annoyance by chirping at all hours and lying in wait to startle my wife which then means I have to engage in a game of chase with the cricket.  God in his wisdom; however, looked at worms and said "ok you are slow and not very smart, but little boys and bass will love you".  I believe my compassion for struggling worms is really a reminder that I also need to have compassion for other higher level creatures I encounter during the day, who may be struggling with their own challenges.  Except for crickets, I still don't have compassion for crickets.  I know Mathew 5:44 says to love our enemies, but I am still working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment