Not the Wray Rives you were looking for?

Try Here
www.RivesCPA.co

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Professional Politicians

I thought it was interesting to read an article Newsweek put out about "The Education of Timothy Geithner". Newsweek Granted history was not my favorite subject in school, in fact I sometimes worry about those of you who did in fact LOVE history in school. I do seem to remember hearing that the founding fathers of America intended for our government to be one run by normal every day people who maybe knew a little something about the area of government where they intended to serve. Of course now we have created that monster I call the "Professional Politician". I seriously wonder if these particular creatures are good at anything besides making speeches without really saying anything and staying in office for decades without really knowing or accomplishing anything of true value. Of course the media loves the professional politician because they give them good sound bites and look good on camera.

So now we are amazed that a guy who everyone seems to agree is a pretty smart dude can FINALLY be effective at his job because he has learned to be more comfortable standing at a podium. I think a doctor analogy fits here, because if you were dying and needed a doctor, do you want Dr. McDreamy has a great bedside manner and is cute but doesn't know squat about medicine or do you want "House" who is a genius at fixing what is wrong with you but is an SOB. Personally I will go play golf with McDreamy and let House operate on me.

Maybe some day we can learn to judge how well a politician does their job by what they accomplish rather than how good a job they do telling us what a great job they are doing for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment